Friday 4 November 2011

Lighting/set design

Location: Studio

We want bright lighting, almost overexposed white lighting and white walls like a white box to contrast it with the purple color we'll put on the glass and the simplicity with the piano as only prop plus the door.

I just looked at some music videos to find some more inspiration how the set and lighting should look as an end product and I found these....

1) Rihanna - 'Rockstar'


I love the lighting focusing on the strong grey and black tones which I want to come out in my video as well. I also really like how RIhannas skin looks like, almost a soft surface and a bit unnatural and shiny.

plus the strong purple like in 'Sin City' they do it with the colors.
 



Location: House, Leith Hill
In Leith Hill we are going to keep the lighting naturalistic. I want o experiment with some effects though, such as making the image into a grainy old fashioned image with some like cracks in the picture and unexpected lighting shifts to make it seem a bit dreamy and noit quite from this world, or from another time.

Seen in:
1) 'Death Proof' - Tarantino

2) Gossip Girl scene(from 0.27s)



  • grainy image - the whole movie is a bit edited as an older film shot with not as developed technology cameras which gives the image something retro and old fashioned... It looks very good I think and could convey the atmosphere of the house even better. At some moments the image could be granier and at some less.
2) 'My Bluberry Nights' - Won Kar Wai


  • the colors - colorful but at the same time not too bright and a bit washed out/faded, giving some warmth
  • the use of paces - at some points it turns into slow motion but a fast slow motion that conveys a very intense or emotional mood. I definitely want to use that at some moments in my video in the house, all of sudden the ballerina turns and dances or he walks around the house or drops somethingt in a slower/ jumpier pace...

No comments:

Post a Comment